Joonas S. Martikainen
Researcher in Philosophy, Social and Political Theory
I'm an aspiring researcher from beautiful Porvoo, Finland. I was born in Turku, Finland in 1987. When I'm not engaged in writing or thinking, alongside looking after our two cats my hobbies include books, podcasting, playing around with cheap synthetizers and old videogames, and having good conversations over beers with friends. I have an active interest in different traditions of Zen Buddhism, something which appears to converge marvellously with my work with in phenomenology.
I began my doctoral studies in 2016 in the discipline of Practical Philosophy in the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Helsinki. I received my doctorate from the University of Helsinki in March 2021. I am currently applying for funding and positions to continue my research. I am currently affiliated with the University of Helsinki.
My theoretical research interests circle around phenomenology, political agency, Hannah Arendt, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, and phenomenological critiques of the conceptions of freedom and the subject as espoused by the Western philosophical tradition.
Areas of Expertise
Among my areas of specialisation are:
- Critical social and political theories of the 20th and 21st century
- Theories of Deliberative and Radical Democracy
- Political phenomenology
- 20th Century Continental Philosophy, with emphasis on critical social and political theory and phenomenology
- Maurice Merleau-Ponty (quel'un dreamboat!)
- Critical sociology, focusing on the philosophical underpinnings of the works of Pierre Bourdieu
This site is hosted on Neocities, in opposition to, and as an alternative to exploitative social media platforms. I am committed to making internet about fun, freedom and discovery again, the principles behind what we knew as Web 1.0.